Who Am I? I'm not sure.

Hello! My name is Rachael and I am an English and Film double major who is pretty much undecided on all future plans. Though I do not know what I want to do or where I want to go, I do know some things. I am currently interested in the way images and film can be in conversation with poems as a whole, or with slices of sentences--or even with single words and bits of punctuation. I love the way sensory notes of text can be tugged out of paper and brought into a new electronic light. Images crafted in a poem can be explored, or even muddled or molded by film construction. One of my favorite examples of digital media exploring a poem is Lynn Tomlinson's clay animation of Emily Dickinson's poem I Heard a Fly Buzz When I Died:


Rotoscope animation - Artisanal Animation - Rachael T.
Rachael Teeter - Rotoscope animation for Artisnal Animation course

My grandma was a water color artist and has been one of my greatest influences in my life. In a way, she showed me that becoming a creator was possible and that there are so many other people out there to collabrorte with and learn from. She loved to explore physical spaces to paint and shrugged off mistakes. A major part of my process is getting completely lost and then (usually) completely changing whatever project I am working on halfway through. I enjoy learning from working with others and I think that my grandma may have had something to do with that.



I did not come to Lawrence with any intention of becoming a film major, but I luckily I made a good friend along the way who showed me that that route was possible for me. I still feel like the world of media creation is new to me and I am not sure where I want to go with it but I am excited to dig into this class and see what everyone creates.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Typewriter & Steam